20 March 2011

butternut squash potstickers


This is one of those recipes that I wouldn't even think about attempting if I found it on a blog. First, there are too many ingredients. Second, the potstickers seem time-consuming enough, and then there's also a sauce? Non, merci.



Luckily enough, I didn't read this anywhere but concocted it on the fly. Roasted butternut squash is as good as dessert, quite honestly, and the only thing I could think of to improve upon that awesomeness was coconut milk. Oh, and cheese. I clearly should have added bacon, but there's always next time.



Butternut Squash Potstickers

Filling:
½ medium butternut squash
¼ c. coconut milk

2 shallots, minced and sautéed
3 Tb. grated parmesan or asiago
handful of roasted, salted cashews, finely chopped

wanton wrappers

Brush the squash with olive oil and place cut side down on an aluminum-foil covered pan. Roast at 400 degrees until tender (30-35 minutes). Meanwhile, sautee the shallots until lightly browned (5 minutes). When the squash has cooled, place it in a large bowl; peel off and discard the skin. Add coconut milk, shallots, cheese, and cashews and mix until well combined.

Assembling the potstickers:

Make sure to keep the wonton wrappers – even those you’ve already added the filling to -- covered with a damp cloth because they dry out easily. You’ll also want to have a small bowl of water at the ready. Wet the edges of the wrapper, and then put a Tb. of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Seal the edges and smush them together (I’m not great at this part, but there are some tutorials online). It doesn’t really matter, though: wonky-looking potstickers taste just as good.

Sauce:
1 can coconut milk, minus ¼ c. used in filling
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

1 Tb. maple syrup

½ c. water

Combine ingredients in saucier and simmer for about 20 minutes to reduce.

Once potstickers are assembled, heat 1 Tb. (organic, expeller-pressed) coconut oil in a large pan and cook for about 3 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second.

[Pairs really well with kale, sautéed with 1 tsp. nutmeg, salt, and pepper.]


4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see this blog! I love your other one, love food blogs, and love to play in the kitchen. Can't wait to see what's on here next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I felt a little weird adding another to the sea of food blogs, but I really needed a space to keep track of what I'm making. Much easier than cooking from memory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I introduce you to my people?

    Love the header! Love the posts! Bring it on!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be great! I'd really appreciate it. :-)

    ReplyDelete