21 March 2011

curried pink lentils, spinach, & tofu

Does anything sound fancier than lentils, spinach, and tofu? I suppose I could call them "des lentilles et des épinards" but even in French, tofu is still tofu. Fancy it's not, but filling it is.

It doesn't get any better than Thai cuisine for me, but Indian is a close, close second. I'm always like, "You know, I should really learn to cook Indian food." Then I look at the fifty+ ingredients and rummage through the desk for the take-out menus. But I'm determined, and so I give to you: curried lentils. And I know that grabbing for the curry powder hardly counts as delving earnestly into Indian cuisine, but it's a start. Bear with me, Madhur Jaffrey.




Curried Pink Lentils, Spinach, & Tofu

1 cup pink lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Pinch of sea salt
2 handfuls of baby spinach
pinch nutmeg
block of extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into triangles

Boil 2 cups water in medium pot. Add lentils, curry powder and turmeric. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Meanwhile, sauté tofu triangles in butter with a pinch of nutmeg. When tofu is done, add spinach and cook until just wilted.

8 comments:

  1. Your mother in law told us about your blog...it's really wonderful!!!

    But How can I be your blog's follower???
    Have a nice day, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there! Bonnie sent me over and I am delighted to find your blog! Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your kind comments!

    If you'd like to follow the blog, you can go to the Dashboard link (top right corner of this page), and then under "Reading List" select "Add." Type in the URL for my blog (or whichever blog you'd like to start following) and then click Follow. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here via your MIL ... this recipe looks great! I'm a fan of Asian Indian food myself but like you, deter from cooking it. This is one I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious!! I love lentils, healthy and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Podso: I'm a big fan of recipes with short ingredient lists!

    Eva: And inexpensive, too! Stefan (my husband) hates them (he says they taste like sandbags), but I can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering when Stefan tasted sandbags!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know who sent me :-). I'm really glad she did. I suspect you'll find me here often. I love what I've seen so far. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete