17 March 2011

mexican chocolate cake

I think this cake was the very first that I ever baked for Stefan. I had a paper due the next day, which meant it was the perfect time to bake. A chance to de-stress, an opportunity to procrastinate. The back of the Hershey's cocoa box read: "Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake," and I said, yes, please. Never content to leave well enough alone -- even when it's "perfect" -- I added some cinnamon and cayenne pepper. It's a cake with a kick.

[Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake]

For the Mexican Chocolate variation, add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne to cake batter.



Things I Discovered:
1. It's probably better to let the cake cool before trying to remove it from the pan, unless you don't want your cake cake-shaped.
2. It's probably better to let the cake cool before trying to frost it, unless you like cleaning frosting off the floor.

5 comments:

  1. That picture is PRICELESS! I LOVE it! The cake sounds yummy even though it didn't turn out very pretty!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ashley! Luckily Stefan isn't too picky where chocolate is concerned (this was his birthday cake).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog idea and this cake makes me want to jump through the screen and lick up the dripping chocolate just to be certain none of that beauty went to waste! I love great recipes and am happy to have a place to get a fix!

    ReplyDelete